Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ted Kennedy has died.

I met him in my youth when I was testifying on the reauthorization of the Higher Education Act. He was kind and gracious, even to his opponents and I think, a good Senator.

Unlike his brothers who always had eyes on higher office, Ted worked at being a Senator. He was a vigorous champion of the left in American public life...and that's a good thing. Too many people in Washington have no goal other than power itself. Not so for Senator Kennedy. He always knew where he stood, who he was for, and what he was against.

He was of course a flawed man. It's impossible to tell his story without mentioning his disgraceful conduct in the death of Mary Jo Kopechne. Other aspects of his personal life were less than flattering as well. In the end though, I think one has to acknowledge that he was truly a great (if imperfect) man. We will not soon see his like again.

Rest in peace.


His obituary is here.

2 comments:

derek demos said...

This is terrible. Did I miss something? She was probably rapped and then left to drown and die. The Kennedys are notorious for coming such crimes. Hate to say it, but it’s true

Beach Girl said...

I found it impossible to say much good about the late Ted Kennedy. I never met him and I am glad. He seemed to live a life above the law. The Kennedy family and extended family without the Kennedy name have lived lives of the elite where the rules that apply to us do not apply to them.

I am glad you were able to say a few nice things about him; I could not, not because he was a flawed human being as all of us are but because he lived a life above the law. Even JFK's election was bought and paid for. Ted Kennedy could not aspire to higher office.

And he spent 40 some years spending our money to fulfill his agenda. He worked for and got passed the Immigration Act of 1965 that undid the efforts of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 because the 1965 law diluted the benefits and equality of opportunity that were for black Americans because anyone who was not "white" "counted" in fulfilling the eventual quotas of the 1964 Act. Mr. Kennedy pulled the rug out from under black Americans and the black American leaders knew it and concurred. See the book, Collision Course, that deals with the specific results of both of these two pieces of legislation.

Sorry for me taking up so much space. I cannot bring myself to write about the depths of his manipulation of our republic.