Friday, November 07, 2008

What Is A Moderate Muslim?

I have a lot of Muslim friends who I admire and respect but there are times when I think we're talking past one another.

There was this fellow I knew in college who was a good friend. He was from one of the more moderate gulf states. Supported the first Gulf War, dated one of my friends and heck...he and I went to strip joints together. He was a very cool guy and I liked him a lot.

Then one day we were talking about some issue relating to gays and he announced that "all gays must be killed". He wasn't kidding and it wasn't just rhetoric...he was in deadly earnest. That's when I realized that I didn't really know him at all. I didn't have any sense whatsoever what the underlying assumptions of his world were. I'm not saying my friend was evil or even ignorant. He was a good guy but if were serious about having a pluralistic, multi-cultural society we need to a least agree on a few basic assumptions of what a civil society ought to look like.

Amy Alkon has some thoughts here.

No comments: