Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Obama Wins...

...and that's ok. I wish him all the best and hope his Presidency is a great success. I still have grave doubts about him, and suspect he and I will disagree more than we agree. Nevertheless...he's going to be the President of all Americans and we have difficult times ahead. President Obama will face unique challenges and for all our sake's I hope he is up to them.

Despite all the Reverend Wright and Bill Ayers stuff, I believe that Barack Obama is a good and decent man. We should keep that in mind going forward. When policy differences arise, attack the idea not the man. The country suffered greatly from the nasty partisanship that Democrats exhibited in opposition. We should avoid the temptation to emulate it.

We should also be grateful for another good and decent man...John McCain. He wasn't my first choice...actually he wasn't even third...but in a difficult year for Republicans, with the economy teetering on the abyss, with an unpopular war, and just general Bush fatigue, John McCain carried the banner of our party forward and acquitted himself honorably. He fought against a dismissive press, an opponent who massively outspent him, and the reservations that some of us on the right had about him. He did well and he deserves our gratitude.

Once again the republic has gone through it's miraculous ritual, where people with very real, deeply held differences come together and make choices about all our futures...peacefully.

May God bless the United States of America.

7 comments:

rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rob said...

I agree with the spirit of this post.

Personally, I am amazed by the "gracious words," as Obama put it, the defeated candidate pronounced in his concession speech.

"This is an historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African-Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight.
I've always believed that America offers opportunities to all who have the industry and will to seize it. Senator Obama believes that, too.

But we both recognize that, though we have come a long way from the old injustices that once stained our nation's reputation and denied some Americans the full blessings of American citizenship, the memory of them still had the power to wound.
A century ago, President Theodore Roosevelt's invitation of Booker T. Washington to dine at the White House was taken as an outrage in many quarters.

America today is a world away from the cruel and frightful bigotry of that time. There is no better evidence of this than the election of an African-American to the presidency of the United States.

Let there be no reason now for any American to fail to cherish their citizenship in this, the greatest nation on Earth.
[…]
I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited.

Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans. And please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that."


It was actually a memorable speech, in my opinion. As a European, and a teacher as well, I think we should read loud these words in the schools. A great lesson of democracy as well as of what is called "the Spirit of America." Thank you, Senator McCain, and may God bless your Great Country.

T the D said...

I think you may have actually been a bit TOO gracious with your words for Barack Obama.

I get it...I see what conservatives are trying to do. They don't want to spew the same garbage that so many liberals did when Bush won. It's commendable, but these are tough times, and I believe what we need more than anything is the truth.

I agree with the patriotic tone and message of your blog, I really do. I just don't agree that Barack Obama is a decent man. I believe he is a liar, a cheater, a hate-monger, and if I may be so bold, an embarrassment to office of the presidency.

I hold that elected position with such high regard, that it is difficult for me to accept who we put there.

I will respect Barack Obama when deserved. But he has to earn it. So far, he hasn't.

~T the D
http://thedrunkelephant.blogspot.com/

Greg said...

t the d,

You are spewing the "same garbage," only now that you agree with it, you call it truth.

Classy.

Greg said...

Mike, nice post.

McCain struck me as incredibly sincere in his concession speech. I was not as impressed by his sentiment as much as by how it seemed that he actually meant it.

Anyway, for you at least, blogging out of power might be fun for a change.

Matt J said...

Well said, Mike.
I agree. I think Barack loves his wife, he's probably a good dad, all the important things. I find it difficult to fathom that he's still so much an unknown.

Anyway, shout out to Greg, what's up brother?

admiral burns said...

As a liberal: I was dissapointed when GWB won the presidency. But, I was willing to give him a chance. I became angered by the right when they developed their "with us or against us" attitude after 911. I was made to feel that because I disagreed with the President, I was "Un-American." That is when the factionalization started in my opinion. I don't think it is entirely fair to pin all of it on the left. There is enough blame to go around.
It is time we all grew up and agreed that we can all love our country even though we disagree on how it should be run.