Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sen Edward Kennedy hospitalized.


BOSTON (Reuters) - U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy, a leading Democrat and patriarch of a prominent American political dynasty, was hospitalized on Saturday in Boston after suffering symptoms of a stroke.


Kennedy, 76, was rushed from the Kennedy compound at Hyannisport, Massachusetts, to Cape Cod Hospital at 9 a.m. (1300 GMT), before being airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, hospital officials said.


A Democratic Party aide confirmed that the long-serving Massachusetts senator had symptoms of a stroke.



I had the opportunity to meet Senator Kennedy in...what was it...1989? Anyway it's been a while. He was kind and gracious and unlike his late brothers he actually worked hard at being a Senator. While I seldom (if ever) found myself in agreement with him, I've always admired his commitment to public service and his unshakable faith in the power of government to help the unfortunate. Get well soon.

1 comment:

Americaneocon said...

Frankly, I've always admired him. Not for his politics or his scandals, obviously, but for the fact that he's the last of the '60s-era Kennedy political leaders, and he's tried to carry on his brothers' flame, amid good times and bad.

He's been heavy for a long time. I remember an article about him back in the 90s indicating how he dieted every January. I wish him well, even though I'm on the other side of the spectrum.

Hope you're having a nice weekend!