Sunday, May 25, 2008

Even Polygamists Are Innocent Until Proven Guilty.

I've avoided commenting too much on this case. I honestly don't know too much about the legal issues involved and what I do know tends to put me in the awkward position of siding of siding with the polygamists. We have what appears to be an overzealous state once again smashing in the door and carting off people whose values don't match very well with mainstream American society. See Ruby Ridge and Waco for bloodier examples of this. As Glen Reynolds says, "On the upside, at least they didn't burn everyone to death, like Janet Reno".

That's not to say there weren't real crimes being committed at the Yearning For Zion ranch in Eldorado, Texas. There may well have been. I have no idea, and neither do you. What we do have is the argument from the state which seems to have more holes than Swiss cheese.

I find polygamy abhorrent and this particular sect to be more than a little creepy. Nevertheless anyone who cares about civil liberties should find the actions of the government in this case profoundly disturbing.

No comments: