Wednesday, May 14, 2008

100 Must-Read Books: The Essential Man’s Library.


It's hard to argue with this list (though I'm sure there are a number of things that could be added). By my back of the envelope calculations, I've read 57 of these and own copies of 59....though the total for owned or read is over 80. Looks like I have some reading to do. The only book here that I'm unfamiliar with is The Master and Margarita by by Mikhail Bulgakov which given it's subject matter sounds right up my alley. For those of you who have summer reading lists this is a good place to start.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that The Great Gatsby is the single most overrated book in the history of, well, books. I hate seeing it first on list after list. AAARRRGGG!

I also thought Red Badge of Courage was garbage.

If you like Zen and the ART, avoid Pirsig's second book(Lila) like the plague. It turned me off him as a human being, and made it impossible for me to re-read Zen ever again (I love re-reading books)

Gulag Archipelago should be on there.

Green Light Greg from the West Egg

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

Mike Stajduhar said...

I agree with you about Gulag Archipelago. I'd also add Darkness at Noon. As for Gatsby...I agree that it's overrated and almost everyone thinks The Sun Also Rises is a better book. Still there is a "cultural literacy" aspect to all this. An educated person should have read Gatsby because that's what society expects.

Mike "Tom Buchanan not to be confused with Jake Barnes" Stajduhar