Thursday, January 17, 2008

Photographic Deceptions.


Eddie Adams, the AP photographer who took it, later made this statement about it:


I won a Pulitzer Prize in 1969 for a photograph of one man shooting another…The general killed the Viet Cong; I killed the general with my camera. Still photographs are the most powerful weapon in the world. People believe them, but photographs do lie, even without manipulation. They are only half-truths. What the photograph didn’t say was, “What would you do if you were the general at that time and place on that hot day, and you caught the so-called bad guy after he blew away one, two or three American soldiers?” General Loan was what you would call a real warrior, admired by his troops. I’m not saying what he did was right, but you have to put yourself in his position.

1 comment:

Admiral Burns said...

Maybe I am the only one. But what I have always found disturbing was that this big, brave general had such a little gun. I mean, this looks like a gangster's hide-out. I have always found this made the General look a little like a thug in a uniform.
Like I said, maybe I am the only one and maybe I am a little crazy, but, even when I was a little kid seeing this on tv, that little gun always bothered me as much as the shooting itself.