Friday, January 04, 2008

My life

The Wife and I got a credit card application in the mail yesterday. It included one of those fake credit cards, embossed with the legend "Void this is not a real credit card: call #### to activate your account" and so on. While I was looking at it I mentioned how kids tend to like this sort of thing and I recounted a story from my youth.

When I was seven or eight I got my first wallet. As far as I can remember, it was a perfectly nice wallet but it had a significant defect: I had nothing to put in it. Being seven (or possibly eight) I had no actual paper money-I kept most of my assets in loose change in those days. I also had no Id, no insurance cards etc.

Then one day I got my hands on an American Express application brochure. There on the cover, in glorious card stock, was an Amex card made out to Charles F. Frost. Taking my time I carefully cut out the card and put it in my shinny new wallet.

The Wife listened to this tale rather patiently and then made the observation:
"So it's it's just like now".

"What do you mean?" I replied.

"You have a wallet with no money and a bunch of credit cards that don't work."

1 comment:

Dan said...

I always liked your wife...