Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Little Sparrow


Legend has it that Edith Piaf was born on a Parisian street corner, with two policemen attending. In reality, Edith Giovanna Gassion was born on December 19, 1915 in the Hospital Tenon in the rue de Chine. It is easy to see why the myth persists, however; Edith's later life was so chaotic that a "normal" birth just wouldn't seem fitting. Edith had no patience for the ordinary and propagated the street-birth scenario her entire life. Indeed, she may have convinced herself that it really was true.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Any idea who the artist is in the pic? It's not Piaf, looks to me like someone who was portraying her in a performance. Good make-up, and she has the hands just right.

Mike Stajduhar said...

I agree that it doesn’t look much like the Piaf that I know (from the 50’s and 60’s) and I was hesitant to use this photo of her. Piaf aged badly and I’m sure that malnutrition during the war didn’t help any either. I THINK it is Piaf when she was quite young but you might be right.